Is there nothing you like better than trudging through the snow? Then get your snowshoes, maybe a guide, and go for the winter landscape. In the Hohe Tauern national park region, everything is still a little bit quieter, more original, and simply perfect to let go of everyday life. Healthy alpine air and the probably best panorama far and wide, away from the masses, are added on top. The cozy huts, where an apple strudel, hot chocolate, and mulled wine will taste especially good after such a winter hiking tour.
Matrei in East Tyrol is not only a place to go when it comes to your ski holidays. Every few kilometres small valleys open up through which wonderful, snow-safe cross-country ski trails wind. Friends of Nordic sports will also find the best conditions! It’s best to start at the Matrei Tauernhaus right at the entrance of the romantic Gschlösstal valley. Several cross-country ski trails can be explored here:
- the Tauernhaus trail
- the Moos trail
- the Löppwald trail
- the Gschildalm trail
In addition, there is also a 4-kilometre-long cross-country ski trail right in the village of Matrei.
More cross-country ski trails can be reached with the local bus comfortably and reliably:
- East Tyrol’s national park valleys Virgen,
- Prägraten am Grossvenediger and
- Kals at the Grossglockner
- 6 kilometre long run whose start on the Gorneralm can be reached with the cable car. Attention: You have to share the run with skiers.
- Tobogganing run Fallwindes, also in Kals.
- A romantic natural toboggan run will also await you at the Würfelehütte Virgen - with a stop at the hut of course.
A winter landscape surrounded by 3,000 metre summits such as in East Tyrol can be so romantic! There are so many more activities!
- A simple walk through the village Matrei
- A ride with the horse-drawn sleigh
- Ice skating
- Bavarian curling
- A snowball fight in front of Hotel Goldried